Am I eligible for medical coverage after I turn 18 years old?
You may be eligible if you answer “yes” to one of the statements below:
- I am currently under 21 years of age and in foster care or other eligible out-of-home placement with DSHS or a federally recognized tribe within Washington state.
- I left foster care or other eligible out-of-home placement on or after my 18th birthday and I am under 26 years of age.
Eligible out-of-home placements include:
- Licensed foster and relative care
- Tribal foster care
- ICPC foster care in Washington state
- Dependency Guardianships established prior to June 2010
- Suitable other placements (unlicensed, court ordered)
Note: Youth in the Adoption Support program are eligible until their 18th birthday or up to age 21 if still in high school.
Fee for Service or Managed Care????
If you are eligible for Apple Health to 26, then you may choose between fee for service or managed care with Apple Health Core Connections for your coverage.
Fee for service: You may see any Washington Apple Health provider that accepts the ProviderOne card. You have to find your own providers and make sure all your providers know about your health status and any specialty care you need.
Apple Health Core Connections (AHCC): Help with all parts of your health care. This includes physical, behavioral and access to dental providers. AHCC has care managers to help find providers and coordinate information about your health to make sure you get the care you need.
If you are 18 – 26 years of age, you can choose to stay in AHCC (no action needed) or change your Apple Health coverage to “fee for service.” Contact the Foster Care Medical Team (FCMT) at 1-800-562-3022 ext. 15480 or FCMT@HCA.WA.GOV to help you decide what type of coverage is best for you.
What is Apple Health Core Connections (AHCC)?
Apple Health Core Connections is the health plan provided by Coordinated Care and the Health Care Authority for youth currently in care and alumni of foster care in Washington State. If you were in foster care on your 18th birthday, you are automatically covered through the month of your 26th birthday.
We’ve got you covered for things like:
- Urgent care and ER
- Doctor and specialist visits
- Drug and alcohol treatment
- Over the counter and prescription medications
- Dental visits
- Eye exams, glasses, contacts
- Mental health visits
- Transgender health services
- Help to quit smoking
- Family planning
Yep, you’re covered for these too:
- CentAccount Rewards (18 and older): Earn rewards for staying healthy – buy personal care products, groceries, and more.
- Care Management & Member Connections (all ages): Receive personalized help managing your benefits, resources, and health conditions.
- Online Member Account (18 and older): Access your benefits and get a new ID card 24/7 through your account.
- 24-Hour Nurse Advice Line (all ages): Call anytime for medical and mental health support, get help deciding if you should go to an ER or urgent care.
- SafeLink Cell Phone (18 and older): Get a cell phone with 350 minutes and unlimited texting, calls to Coordinated Care don’t count towards your minutes.
Connect with Coordinated Care about your AHCC health care benefits:
@CoordinatedCare on Facebook and Twitter
What else do I need to know?
- Your Apple Health (fee for service or AHCC) eligibility will continue until your 26th birthday as long as you were in foster care on the day you turned 18.
- Apple Health (fee for service or AHCC) is for medical and behavioral health care services only. You can apply for TANF or food assistance by going to your local Community Services Office.
- KEEP your ProviderOne and your AHCC cards when you leave foster care.
- Contact FCMT for questions about eligibility and enrollment.
- Always update your address and phone number with the FCMT. This will make sure you get important information about your health care.
What if I lose my ProviderOne card?
To call the Foster Care Medical Team (FCMT), use these directions:
The phone system is very sensitive so make sure there isn’t a lot of noise around you.
- Dial: 1-800-562-3022 – Extension 15480 (do not dial the extension until asked to)
- Stay on the line.
- Say, “Dial” when the system asks you if you have an extension.
- When the system asks if you are a “client, provider, or other.” DO NOT answer; just press “3” on your phone.
- The system will say it is transferring you and then ask you to dial the extension number.
- Dial the FCMT extension number – 15480.What if I lose my AHCC card?
These instructions also work for non-English speaking youth. The FCMT uses interpreter services when needed.
What if I lose my AHCC card?
Call 1-844-354-9876 and request a new card or go to www.coordinatedcarehealth.com and use the Online Member Account to get a new ID card 24/7.