The IL program helps you get ready to live on your own by giving you information about:
- How to stretch your money
- How to get and keep a job
- Daily living skills
- How to get along with others and build a support network
- How to find and keep a safe place to live
- How to do well in high school or get a GED
- How to prepare for education or training past high school
- How to speak up for yourself and get your needs met
You can get Independent Living services through classes and workshops and through local agencies who can work with you one-on-one.
Eligibility Criteria for Independent Living Program
To be eligible for the Independent Living Program you are/were age 15 or older in an open dependency through DCYF or a tribal child welfare agency and in an out of home placement for at least 30 days after your 15th birthday. Once initial eligibility has been met you may remain eligible until your 23rd birthday.
Please note you are not eligible for IL services if you achieved a permanent plan of return home, guardianship or adoption before you met the initial eligibility criteria above.
YouTube Independent Living Program Video
Youth share their experiences learning skills for transitioning into adulthood through a YMCA IL Program. Watch the video…