The Extended Foster Care program provides an opportunity for young adults in foster care at age 18 to voluntarily agree to continue receiving foster care services, including placement services, while the youth completes a secondary or post-secondary academic or vocational program, or participates in a program or activity designed to promote employment.
The dependency action will continue if the eligible youth elects to participate in the program on their 18th birthday. Eligible youth who do not elect to participate in the Extended Foster Care program on their 18th birthday will have until their 19th birthday to voluntarily request to participate in the Extended Foster Care program. Youth who were previously enrolled and participated in the Extended Foster Care program and unenrolled or lost eligibility and had their dependency dismissed may be eligible to re-enter the program prior to the age of 21 through a voluntary placement agreement.
Services may include:
- Foster Care placement or Supervised Independent living setting placement (shared living, apartment, college dormitory).
- Medical (including mental health).
- Transitional Living services (if available).
- Case management by CA.
- Referrals to community resources (as appropriate).
- See independence.wa.gov for further services.
To be eligible for the Extended Foster Care program, youth must meet the following criteria on their 18th birthday:
- In foster care; and
- Enrolled in high school or a high school equivalency program;
- Enrolled, applied for, or can show intent to timely enroll in a post-secondary academic or post-secondary vocational certification program;
- Participating in a program or activity designed to promote or remove barriers to employment, including part-time employment;
- Employed 80 hours or more a month; or
- Unable to engage in any of the above activities due to a documented medical condition
Continued participation in Extended Foster Care is subject to continuing eligibility in one of the five categories listed above. Participants can transition between categories.
How to Apply
- To be a part of this program, talk to your worker or call 1-800-562-5624