Regardless of the type of housing, it is helpful to check out the building before calling to make sure it is someplace that you would want to live. As you are looking, here are some things to consider:
- Is it a nice neighborhood?
- Does it feel safe?
- Is there shopping close by?
- Is the apartment close to public transportation if you do not have a vehicle?
- Is it in a location that makes it easy for you to go school, work, meet with your IL Provider, family or friends?
- Does the building seem secure?
- Does it seem well maintained?
- Are there obvious maintenance issues such as peeling exterior paint, broken windows, trash etc.?
- Does the building appear clean and well-lit?